Oct 29, 2010

Paul Klee, Free Association & 'Me'



It was August, summer of 82.
You had a rusty old car


And me

- I had nothing better to do.


We were goin' in circles.


And me

- I was just hanging on.


You did all the talking.

And me

- I didn't make a sound.

(1)
Weasel keeps hangin' on
Together forever

And me?

- I'm goin' in circles.




I've floated on an icecap with a white polar bear
I've floated up and down the golden stairs
I've seen whales and caught in sails all twiskeetwee


But me?

I don't say much.

(2)


It's your turn to walk along the runway road.


And me?

I sent my better self on ahead.

(3)


Some people know exactly where they're going
The pilgrims to Mecca
The climbers to the mountain top


But me,


I'm looking for just a single moment
So I can slip through time

(4)


1: Hot Pursuit / Paul Klee, 1939
2: Sinbad the Sailor / Paul Klee, 1923
3: Snake Paths / Paul Klee, 1934
4: Tightrope Walker / Paul Klee, 1923

Lyrics excerpts from
'Speechless (The Eagle and the Weasel)',
'The Island Where I Come From',
'One Beautiful Evening',
and 'Life on a String'
- all written by Laurie Anderson